We, as Police Officials of the South African Police Service commit ourselves to the creation of a safe and secure environment for all people in South Africa by –
- participating in endeavours to address the root causes of crime in the community;
- preventing action which may threaten the safety or security of any community; and
- investigating criminal conduct which has endangered the safety or security of the community and bringing the perpetrators thereof to justice.
In realization of the aforesaid commitment, we shall at all times –
- uphold the Constitution and the law;
- be guided by the needs of the community;
- give full recognition to the needs of the South African Police Service as my employer; and
- cooperate with the community, government at every level and all other related role-players.
In order to achieve a safe and secure environment for all the people of South Africa
we undertake to –
- with integrity, render a responsible and effective service of high quality which is accessible to every person and continuously strive towards improving this service;
- utilize all the available resources responsibly, efficiently and cost-effectively to maximize their use;
- develop our own skills and participate in the development of our fellow members to ensure equal opportunities for all;
- contribute to the reconstruction and development of, and reconciliation in our country;
- uphold and protect the fundamental rights of every person;
- act impartially, courteously, honestly, respectfully, transparently and in an accountable manner;
- exercise the powers conferred upon us in a responsible and controlled manner; and
- work actively towards preventing any form of corruption and to bring the perpetrators thereof to justice.
Code of Ethics – South African Police
Ethical policing demands that we as employees of the South African Police Service act with integrity and respect for people’s diversity and the law, thereby enhancing service excellence to the approval of the public.
As members of the South African Police Service we will perform our duties according to the following principles:
- Application: Employees of the SAPS regard the truth as being of the utmost importance.
- Explanation: We, as the employees of the SAPS, continually strive to uphold the mission, values, ethical principles and ethical standards of the SAPS. We will behave in a manner that is consistent with these values. We will act honestly and responsibly in all situations. We will always tell the truth, perform our duties with noble motives and set an example in the communities we serve.
- Respect for diversity
- Application: Employees of the SAPS acknowledge the diversity of the people of our country and treat every person with equal respect.
- Explanation: In performing our duties, we will always show respect for the cultural and other diversities in the community. We will treat every person with equal respect and honour their rights as inhabitants of South Africa. We will not unlawfully discriminate against any person.
- Obedience of the law
- Application: Employees of the SAPS respect and uphold the law at all times.
- Explanation: Our duties mainly involve enforcing the law, and in our application of the law we will always stay within the law and Constitution of our country. We will, at all times, avoid any conduct which would make us violators of the law. We will protect the inhabitants of South Africa against unlawful actions.
- Service excellence
- Application: Employees of the SAPS work towards service excellence.
- Explanation: We will, at all times, perform our duties to the best of our abilities. Our conduct will bear the mark of professionalism. Our conduct and appearance will be proof of our commitment to service excellence.
- Public approval
- Application: Employees of the SAPS always work with and for the approval of the community.
- Explanation: We will serve the best interest of the community, seeking the approval of the broad community in everything we do.